Congress Venue Het Pand
Onderbergen 1, 9000 Ghent
The 2018 ISIEM Congress will be organised in “Het Pand” which is located just next to St. Michael's Church, in the city centre of Ghent. “Het Pand” belongs to Ghent University and can be reached by public transport (bus and tramstop “Korenmarkt”, which is 100 metres from the venue) or by car (Parking P7).
By public transport
From station Gent St-Pieters:
tram 1 (every 6 minutes) or tram 24 (every 20 minutes). Exit at Korenmarkt.
From Gent Zuid:
tram 4 (every 6 minutes), tram 24 (every 20 minutes) or bus 17 (every 30 minutes). Exit at Korenmarkt.
- Follow the parking signage to parking P7 Sint-Michiels. The parking is located at 50 meter from Het Pand. Take the exit Onderbergen and you come out in the Wilderoosstraat, opposite Het Pand.
- An alternative parking is P8 Ramen. From here it's about 5 minutes on foot to Het Pand.
…a little bit of history
The history of “Het Pand” takes us back to 1201, when a hospital was built and named “Uten Hove Hospitaal” after chaplain Utenhove. In 1228, when the hospital became too small, it was moved to the “Bijloke” and the building was donated to the Dominican friars. It became the centre of their new cloister.
Around 1240, the construction of a cloister church was started, on the south side of the complex. A new wing was built, connecting the church to the rest of the complex. A memorial stone, indicating the financial help of Margareta of York, duchess of Burgundy, in the construction of the arcade in the new wing is still visible today.
During the reformation in the 16th century, the inquisition of the Dominicans made them particularly loathed. The monastery was plundered and its collection of manuscripts and books thrown into the neighbouring river “Leie” on 22 August 1566, during the first iconoclastic period.
In 1822, when the number of monks had decreased to 5, they obtained permission from Pope Leo XVII to sell the monastery. While gradually falling into a state of disrepair, the monastery remained in use. In 1860, one of its churches was pulled down, and only the St. Michael's Church remained.
In 1946 a part of the building became classified as a monument, but still most of its rented rooms were occupied by students, artists and vagabonds. In 1956, the whole building was classified as a monument, but this could not prevent the buildings from being declared uninhabitable. It was put up for sale, and became part of Ghent University on 25 January 1963. Renovation of the building was commenced in 1971 and finished in 1991.